Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ghost Hunters International Sucks Less Now!




I feel like I’ve lost a whole year of GHI. While my bf has been hooked beyond walking away… no matter how bugaboo the show was for the first two seasons, I slept through all of the second season. Literally, the music would come on and I’d be out. I couldn’t even enjoy its badness.

This year, some very good structural improvements have been made. Brian is gone. I admit, I kind of liked Brian-drama but then again I never had to work with him. Meanwhile, Barry has taken over equipment setup. He’s good at that. Give him something to focus on and he stops going haywire over every shadow, noise or fancy e-meter reading. Less of him talking is a good thing. He sounds arrogant when he talks. Maybe he can’t help it.

Now if I had a dime for every time we asked is that a scar or a skinny soul patch? I’d be able to buy a big gulp right now at the 7-Eleven.

Andy Andrews is also gone and although I did like him too, the combination of leader Rob and Dustin (who has stepped up to be the #2 guy) has more chemistry. Andy was too intense sometimes. I always felt he was overcompensating for something, which he didn’t need to do because he was bright and well-spoken. And he didn’t take no grief from ghosts although he didn’t seem so keen of a debunker on GHI that he was on Ghost Hunters the original.

Three new members are now on the show, all good: Joe, Brandy and Angelica. The girls are great: no theatrics or politics (at least as far as we can see), very hard to spook. The only thing that bugs me about those two is their over-application of eye shadow. Like Dustin’s (improved but still) occasional insistence on wearing his top-less baseball cap backward and upside down, it’s distracting and unnecessary. Ghosts are not impressed.

But best of all, GHI is back to doing some freakin debunking again! Say a hallelujah everybody. That’s what I like to see because then when they do find something strange, it’s more believable when we know they’ve done due-diligence debunking. Plus the debunking solutions are usually more interesting than the ghost activity.

I’m like, get on with your afterlife already, ghosts! Or say something interesting then!

GHI has also been to some better locations this season: Dracula’s castle (guess what: not haunted) and a Paris chateau. These guys are finally interesting enough to start watching again. Thank god, because I’ve been oversleeping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's a question of producers, editors or what, but I agree, GHI is now actually better than the original GH. Whereas the original GH has gone down the path of offscreen noises and moved flip flops (give me a break!!), GHI is back on track with trying to debunk claims of the paranormal. Robb and Dustin seem like the Jason and Grant of yore, i.e., honestly trying to discover the truth, whether it be paranormal activity or rain dripping on a loose roof tile. Although Joe Chin sees faces everywhere and Barry's full-spectrum camera is completely suspect, I still like them. I will say this to the GHI team, however: enough with the close-ups of the EMF meter. This footage shows absolutely nothing that can be independently verified or corroborated. Also, stop trying to communicate with the EMF meter. Random spikes in the EMF meter do not equal an intercom to the other side. You only look foolish trying to play Larry King with a whining stud finder. And finally, Barry, for God sakes, you have to address it on camera: is it a scar or a soul patch?

Anonymous said...

I agree this season sucks less...it might have something to do with Brian, Donna and Andy being gone...please do not bring back these ppl.
Yeah, the soul patch thing really needs to go. Joe still needs to learn how to use the equipment properly. It's kinda funny to see him use the K2 meter and see it light up..but he generally wont do a sweep with it. He just stands there and says..look..it's going off. he doesn't move...it's freaking hilarious!...somebody train him..please!==kthunder_73==