Monday, July 02, 2007

A Trip to Kwik E Mart



As I drove back from seeing Sicko tonight, I noticed searchlights. Hmm, these seem to be near my house, I thought, as I drove closer. Suddenly, I saw the source - my 7-11 had been transformed into a Kwik-E-Mart!

There was a line to get in and I had to search a while to find street parking. They had painted the building and changed the signage. The windows displayed ads for Krusty-Os and Buzz Cola. It was quite a scene, with tons of folks cruising by to gawk.

It took about 10 minutes to get inside, and once inside I checked out the merchandise and amusing signage. The slurpee machine now sold squishees in flavors such as Bubble Yum (I refrained). I picked up some Krusty-Os and Buzz Cola. They were also selling ice chests, t-shirts, toys, etc. No Duff beer, but, hey, you can't have everything.


The usually beleaguered Indian 7-11 proprietors had new uniforms and didn't seem to mind being addressed as Apu. Why should they? They were raking in the bucks!

If you're in LA, go check it out at the corner of Venice and Sepulveda. There are 12 stores throughout the US and Canada that have been transformed.

Read more about it in
Business Week.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Great marketing ploy and it benefits the movie and 7-11! This takes 7-11 to a whole new level.

Alas, I'm trying to imagine what the minimarts out here in Podunkia would have to do to get a similar surge in business.