Thursday, February 25, 2010

American Idol Week 1: The Top 24

Wow, what a disappointing start to the new season...nobody has knocked my bowersox off...nobody is worth detailed analysis at this point, but here are some quick impressions...


Paige Miles - "All Right Now"

She's got a big voice but she's pretty ordinary in the other departments. Simon said she has the best voice of the girls. It's hard to go first so I give her some points for surviving.

Ashley Rodriguez - "Happy"

She's a pretty girl and seemed talented from clips of Hollywood Week, but this wasn't a great song choice. Her early place in the lineup combined with the lackluster performance could doom her.

Janell Wheeler - "What About Love"

What about love? What about choosing a song you can handle? This was way too much for Janell. She'd need to coast on her coverage from earlier rounds to survive.

Lilly Scott - "Fixing a Hole"

I find her voice kind of irritating, but I give her points for being original and different. The white blond hair isn't flattering.

Katelyn Epperly - "Oh Darling"

She did better than I expected - kinda bluesy tone to her voice. I agree with Kara that her makeup and styling were overdone.

Haeley Vaughn - "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

I wanna put my hands over my ears. This girl has a terribly annoying, nasally, screechy voice.

Lacey Brown - "Landslide"

I think Lacey is likable, but the judges hammered her. It was an awkward arrangement and she didn't bring anything new to this old chestnut. Stevie Nicks can rest easy.

Michelle Delamor - "Falling"

She's gutsy to take on an Alicia Keys song, and I thought her performance was polished, if not particularly memorable.

Didi Benami - "The Way I Am"

She reminds me of Brooke White, but less annoying.

Siobhan Magnus - "Wicked Game"

Cool song choice. She's quirky but has a frumpy air about her. Could be a dark horse, though.

Crystal Bowersox - "Hand in Pocket"

Looks like Crystal got her teeth whitened. She's a cool chick, and I like that she played guitar and harmonica. Simon has a point though - she's not unlike a lot of subway buskers.

Katie Stevens - "Feelin' Good"

I hate it when young girls sing sexy, adult songs. I hated this performance but I know she will survive another week, backed by all the Diana Degarmo voters.

Toderick Hall - "Since You've Been Gone"

This was a mess, and not a hot mess. Toderick's fame from earlier rounds will carry him through, but Kelly Clarkson can now sing another song about being wronged by a man because Toderick murdered her tune.

Aaron Kelly - "Here Comes Goodbye"

I love me some Rascal Flatts, but what hurts the most is when teens try to sing big people songs. Like Katie, Aaron sang a song that was too adult for him, but he showed strong vocal ability.

Jermaine Sellers - "Get Here"

Get here if you can...Jermaine, how did you get here singing like that? Affected and annoying. His attitude is writing checks his voice can't cash.

Tim Urban - "Apologize"

Meet this year's pen salesman - Jon Peter Lewis reincarnated. Yes, Tim was dreadful. Yes, he attempted a song he doesn't have the range to sing. Yes, Simon tried to axe him by declaring it was a mistake that he got through to this round. Does it matter? Not at all, because tweens will find him dreamy. He could be the lost Jonas brother.

Joe Munoz - "You and I Both"

It seems like Joe might have a good voice, but this performance was very muddled, and I didn't recognize the song. I think his failure to pick a good song coupled with our lack of knowledge of him from previous rounds and his non-dreamy, just average looks will doom him.

Tyler Grady - "American Woman"

Another flop, and I was disappointed because I really like this kid. This was poor karaoke.

Lee Dewyze - "Chasing Cars"

I thought this was kinda cool, but also kinda overdone. He's got a boy next door quality. Simon clearly wants him to stick around, and the show needs a rocker.

John Park - "God Bless the Child"

Another bad song choice. This was nearly incomprehensible. John is cute, but he seemed very nervous.

Michael Lynche - "This Love"

This was OK and he improved as the performance went along. This guy is just plain likable and will be around for a while even if his voice isn't as big as his biceps.

Alex Lambert - "Wonderful World"

I can't decide if tweens will find him dreamy. The mullet is really putting me off. I think they might want to rescue him this week after that "deer in the headlights" performance.

Casey Jones - "Heaven"

Ahh, Casey, I will join Kara in a puddle of drool over you. You just might be the hottest idol since Constantine Maroulis. And if the looks weren't enough, the guy can sing and actually seemed to connect with the material and pick an appropriate song for his voice. Since Paula is not here to say it, let me say it: "Touchdown!"

Andrew Garcia - "Sugar, We're Going Down"

Andrew, you won't be number one with a bullet with performances like this. Not a great song choice, but it's clear he's talented. The judges made sure he'd stick around by reminding us of his "Straight Up" performance.

My predictions for who's going home: Jermaine, Joe, Ashley, Haeley
Actual results: Joe, Tyler, Ashley, Janell

I'm batting .500. I am surprised Tyler was sent home. I thought he deserved another chance and had enough footage from Hollywood Week to get him the votes. But maybe the Jim Morrison/Mick Jagger look wasn't appealing to voters. They should have showed his bathrobe footage yesterday - might have won him some quirkiness votes. I'm stunned we have to endure Haeley for another week! Time to find my ear plugs.

No comments: