Thursday, February 18, 2016

American Idol: The Top 24 - 2nd Half - Solo Performances

From the spectacular Vibiana, a church turned party venue in Downtown LA...the second half of the Top 24 did their solo performances.

Shelbie Z - She sang "Work Hard, Play Harder" by Gretchen Wilson. This song was definitely in her wheelhouse, but it wasn't as impressively vocally as her Heart covers during Hollywood Week. The judges didn't think the key let her show off except for the last note. She definitely exudes confidence and owns the stage.




Manny Torres - He sang "Adventures of a Lifetime" by Coldplay. I found it lackluster. J Lo said he didn't connect with audience enough.

Kory Wheeler - He played piano and sang "Let it Be" by James Bay. He's a cutie with nice eyes, but I'm not sure it's special enough. Harry didn't find it moving.

Amelia Eisenhauer - This pretty redhead sang "Wake Me Up" by Avicii and put her own spin on it. She was poised and confident, but didn't stand out. The judges didn't feel it was a great song choice. Harry suggested she find a quirky song to fit her personality.

Jenn Blosil - The likable oddball contestant sang "Sorry" by Justin Bieber. She kinda reminds me of Bjork, so I wish she had picked a more alternative type song, but she did put her own style to it. The judges found it original. 

CJ Johnson - This bar rocker sang "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. For someone with so much stage experience, I was surprised to find him a bit robotic in his crowd interaction. It seemed like he was thinking a lot about what he needed to do.  I thought it was kind of an easy song choice but the judges felt it was in his wheelhouse.

Lee Jean - He sang "Runaway" by Ed Sheeran. He is such a cute kid, with a soulful voice and lovely tone. He actually reminds me a bit of Tracy Chapman. But this is the third or fourth Ed Sheeran song he has done. I think he needs to stretch a bit.  

Trent Harmon - The guy who almost had to leave Hollywood Week due to having mono sang "What are You Listening To" by Chris Stapleton. His performance was heartfelt and he has a unique voice. Keith thought it was a cool song choice but an odd one since the song is not well known. I liked it enough that it made me want to seek out the original. He really sang it in a way that you felt the lyric. J Lo said she thinks he will be in the competition a long time.



Tristan McIntosh - This judges' favorite sang "Good Girl" by Carrie Underwood. She looked cute and had a sassy outfit. She seemed a bit stiff and I'm not sure it was a great song choice for her, but I'm sure she will be safe. 

Adam Lasher - He sang "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro, while wearing a black outfit with a gold guitar and gold shoes. He has a nice deep voice and this is his 2nd year in the competition. The judges didn't like the song choice. 

Dalton Rappatoni - He sang "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol in a slow and sexy way and definitely made it his own. The performance reminded me a bit of Adam Lambert in a good way, yet I felt it was a bit silly because it was like he was trying to wring some depth out of a song that has none. That song is about anger and energy, not about its lyrics. Girls in the crowd went nuts because he's such a hottie and the judges loved it. Keith said, "You Daltonized it."



Olivia Rox - She sang "Confident" by Demi Lovato. I didn't think the leather dress was very flattering. I didn't feel she lived up to the song lyrics in attitude, but she did show off a more powerful voice than I remembered seeing in the audition weeks.

Predictions

Thursday's duets could change things but based on these performances - I suspect Adam, Kory, Manny, CJ, and Amelia are going home. 

No comments: