Monday, May 15, 2006

MTV's Super Sweet 16 Turns Republicans Into Democrats


A historic moment happened this weekend during MTV's My Super Sweet 16 marathon. Ape Culture's conservative curmudgeonly correspondent, Art Haarper, who has not voted for a Democrat since the party nominated McGovern, watched a single episode and had an epiphany. Art, who receives Christmas cards from the Bushes and Ashcrofts in gratitude for his party contributions, could not believe that a California teen named Natalie was haranguing her parents into spending $200,000 on her Sweet 16 party. He watched in horror as Natalie purchased a $900 dress, got an $800 pedicure complete with diamonds on her toes, threw numerous hissy fits, and kicked freshman out of her soiree. At the conclusion of the show, an agitated Art insisted I change the channel. He declared, "That show is enough to turn me into a Democrat!" Yes, the show's espousal of conspicuous consumption was just too much for Art. He recognized parallels between the bacchanalia depicted on this show and the Roman Empire before the fall. Hilary, you just may have a new campaign volunteer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This show....has to be....the worst show on TV, yet I can't stop watching. I don't know what it is...maybe the kids snotty attitues are entertaining, maybe the passive parents keep us in awe, or maybe it's just becuase my husband and I want to see how we don't want our kids to turn out. Plus, how often on MTV do you find a show you can watch as if it were a football game....yelling and making fun of each part of the show. I'm not sure if the show would get me to vote democrat....but it sure as hell will get me to raise my kids on hand-me-downs and coupons.

Like, OMG!

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»