Wednesday, April 02, 2008

American Idol - Terry's Take on Dolly Night

First, let me say that Ryan's opening with the April Fool's joke could not have possibly fooled anyone and is was beyond lame and went right on to just plain stupid.

  • Brooke White - "Joleen" - The more I hear her the more I fall for her voice. It has a lovely tone and just enough uniqueness to keep me interested. And her style and demeanor just increase my crush on her each week. I didn't feel the emotion, but I liked it anyway. There's just something fresh and pure in her performances each week.
  • David Cook - "Little Sparrow" - Talk about taking a song that didn't interest me in the least and making it interesting....Wow! Again! He is showing that not only can he be so creative but that he has far more vocal range than I gave him credit for when this season started. Another fantastic job. AND, he FINALLY did something to improve that hair!!
  • Ramielle Malubay - She has such a good voice and is so darn pretty, but it is becoming painfully obvious that she lacks the ability to tap that special something and truly connect with her audience. I kept thinking that with time and improved confidence it would come. But it hasn't. And it's becoming increasingly evident that it won't. She's running short on time....and may have finally run out.
  • Jason Castro - "Travelin' Through" - Good song choice for him. Fit him and his niche. He didn't stretch musically as I know Simon would like, but he did push himself vocally and showed he can offer more. I didn't love it but I did like it.
  • Carly Smithson - "Here You Come Again" - Sounded good but not great. Should be safe(?). And Simon is right! I was thinking the same thing (he might just be my evil British twin). She's been looking dour and not at all like a (rock) star. She has all the hardcore tats but has been dressing like some frumpy dumpster diver.
  • David Archuleta - "Smokey Mountain Memories" - Let's see, first Dolly practically anoints him, then he gives a terrific performance. Oh yeah. He's safe. And back in true form.
  • Kristy Lee Cook - "Coat of Many Colors" - One of her better performances but oddly not that interesting. She has a touch of Ramielle-itis in that she has trouble connecting and conveying real emotion, too. Could be her undoing.
  • Syesha Mercado - "I Will Alway Love You" - Smart! She veered towards Dolly's softer more intimate version....for about half the song. Then she got stupid (and egotistical) and jumped into the more openly powerful Whitney version. Stupid! And ego-driven. She very likely would have been safe if she had stuck with the Dolly version all the way through. But, she just had to show Simon and the world that she IS as good as she thinks she is....but, she's NOT! And if it doesn't blow up in her face this week, it surely will some week soon.
  • Michael Johns - I loved his bluesy take and this was by far his best performance since Hollywood (which I, quite honestly, wasn't as impressed with as the judges were). He finally lived up to his potential. A great vocal, great arrangement and he was just smoldering on that stage.

No comments: