Wednesday, February 10, 2010

American Idol 2010 - Hollywood Week

This is my favorite stage of the Idol competition and I always wish they would rename it "Hollywood Weeks" and give us two weeks of the high drama, as opposed to 3 or 4 weeks of auditions which I mostly don't bother to watch anymore. But, I will take what I can get.

Last night was the first Hollywood Week episode and Ellen's first appearance as a judge. She had a few funny moments but overall I feel the pace will be slow again this year with four judges.

Here's the highlights and lowlights...

* Andrew Garcia - Andrew is likable and he did a really funky, slow version of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up." Kara called it "genius" (reminding me of how often that word is overused) and said it hearkened back to Adam Lambert's creativity. I really enjoyed the performance and expect him to go far. He's my favorite so far.

Vanessa Wolfe - The nervous country girl proved too nervous and got cut.

Amadeo DiRocco - I was rooting for this Tony Soprano lookalike, but he didn't have the chops to advance.

* Janell Wheeler - Janell broke out her guitar for a funky version of "American Boy". She's pretty and has a really good voice.

Haeley Vaughn - She was nervous about playing her guitar and was a bit awkward with it, but her voice and winning personality carried her through.

Mary Powers - This 28-year-old rocker and mom did a strong rendition of "Sober." She's a bit rough around the edges, but she definitely can belt.

Jay Stone - The Florida beatboxer failed to impress so we won't see a sequel to Blake Lewis this year.

* Lilly Scott - She's quirky, kind of an Amy Winehouse type but less tragic. Judges slobbered all over her.

"Big" Michael Lynche - His wife went into labor while he was at the auditions, but he stayed to see if he could fulfill his dream. So far so good. Very likable guy, but if I was his wife I wouldn't be that supportive.

Tim Urban - He looks like a Jonas brother and his voice is just okay, but the teen idol looks could carry him far.

Justin Williams - He's a cancer survivor and he tried to sing and play the keyboard but the judges found it too loungey.

Maddy Curtis - Aww, I was sorry to see Maddy go home. She's the girl from the big family with three brothers who have Downs Syndrome. But I'd have to agree, she was nervous and not quite ready. She's only 16, so maybe she'll be back.

* Casey Jones - He's cute, has a ponytail, kinda reminded me of Brad Pitt in "Thelma and Louise." His blues guitar sets him apart.

* Didi Benami - She's a waitress who kissed up to Kara by singing one of her songs - "Terrified." Good job and she's pretty.

* Crystal Bowersox - She's a young mom, also kinda rough, but a powerhouse voice that recalled Janis Joplin. I love her name, too.

Asterisks represent who I think is likely to make the Top 25.

Now, onto Group Night!!

No comments: