Sunday, February 21, 2010

American Idol: Thoughts on the Top 24


Thoughts on the Top 24


Aaron Kelly - My friend C. Crumpet Swank has coined Aaron: "The depressed Kevin Covais." Now I can't watch him without laughing. Aaron is cute, only 16, with teen idol potential, yet he does seem a bit meloncholy. We'll see if he can bring more perkiness.

Alex Lambert - I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Alex - just average at best. Plus last year's finalist was Adam Lambert. The names are too similar.

Andrew Garcia - I don't know why they put Andrew in the "Final 2" with Thaddeus, trying to create drama over who would make it. It was no contest. This guy has been a gamer from the get-go and really impressed me and the judges with his funky Hollywood week rendition of "Straight Up." One of the few who truly makes the songs his own, with a good backstory about wanting to make a better life for his wife and kid.

Ashley Rodriguez - Ashley has a strong voice and can belt. She's pretty, seems likable.

Casey James - Casey is definitely a frontrunner. He's got cool long hair and he's dreamy - he reminds me of Brad Pitt in Thelma and Louise. Also, he's got a different style - playing blues guitar. Top 12 fer sure.

Crystal Bowersox - Crystal has an awesome name. She's certainly a little rough around the edges and I'm sure Simon would say she doesn't fit the Idol image, but, man, what a voice. She's got a bit of a Janis Joplin thing going on. Plus she's a young mom. If she gets her teeth whitened, she should make the Top 12. She could knock your bowersox off!

Didi Benami - Didi is very likable and reminds me of Brooke White. She seems like a good spirit and has been trying to make it for sometime, while working as a waitress. I like her voice and her style and expect her to make the Top 12.

Haeley Vaughn - I can't imagine why this girl made it over Shelby Dressel and Angela Martin. Her voice has a helium tinge to it. Simon mentioned she could be annoying and I definitely agree.

Janell Wheeler - Janell is pretty, nice voice, but I haven't seen anything special so far.

Jermaine Sellers - Jermaine got in trouble for complaining that the band failed him in his final audition performance. His attitude will probably get in the way. I foresee sassing back at the judges, which is never attractive.

Joe Munoz - I have no impression of Joe. Admittedly, I missed some of the audition shows, but they didn't really showcase him during Hollywood Week.

John Park - I have no impression of John Park either.

Katelyn Epperly - Katelyn is young and cute - she's definitely the type that Simon loves to pick. It remains to be seen if she can run with the big dogs.

Katie Stevens - Katie is only 17, and I'm not sure she's ready for the big stage. She seems very sweet and has a good backstory about caring for her grandmother who has Alzheimer's.

Lacey Brown - Lacey made the top 50 last year before getting cut, so now she gets a chance to perform for America. I don't have much a sense of her talent, but she's got a different, edgy look.

Lee Dewyze - Lee seems like a bar band singer and tough guy. He could fill a rocker slot.

Lilly Scott - Lilly is another frontrunner. With her gray-blond hair, she's got a unique look and her vocal stylings are unusual too. Very cool chick.

Michael Lynche - I don't think this guy would be in the Top 24 if his wife hadn't gone into labor and had their child during Hollywood Week. Big Mike is likable, a bodybuilder, and can sing, but if I was his wife, I'd be really pissed off he missed that moment. He's only 26, so he had two more years to come back and try again.

Michelle Delamor - Nice name, pretty girl, but other than that, I have no opinion.

Paige Miles - I don't remember much about Paige either.

Siobhan Magnus - I'm curious to see how Siobhan does. She's been a bit uneven in her performances, but she brings a fresh approach to her songs. She probably needs a bit of a makeover.

Tim Urban - Tim got the spot relinquished by Chris Golightly, who was kicked out of the Top 24 for formerly having a record contract with a boy band that he hid from the judges. Tim has teen idol appeal and could be a dark horse.

Todrick Hall - This kid has some show biz experience, having performing alongside Fantasia in "The Color Purple." He can do backflips, is good-looking (nice eyes) and can sing. He states that he's more a dancer than a singer, but so far, so good.

Tyler Grady - Tyler is one of my favorites. I love his 70s style. He said he admires Robert Plant and Jim Morrison, but I think of Mick Jagger when I watch him. He's got a sexy swagger about him.



Controversial Cuts

Angela Martin - I actually shed a few tears along with Angela, when she received the news she'd been cut. I don't know what the Idol judges were thinking! Nobody has more sympathy-generating drama in his/her storyline than Angela (father murdered during her first audition, sent to jail for traffic ticket during his second audition, mother missing during third audition, handicapped daughter who has seizures), plus the girl is cute, likable and can really sing. Looks like Kara and Ellen realize they made a mistake, because they put Angela on Ellen's show and offered to produce a single for her. Angela talked about her experience in People.

Thaddeus "I'm not Bubbly" Johnson - This large queeny teen had a lot of likability, style, and a good voice. He also had an endearing storyline with his extremely supportive cheerleader mother. However, he's only 16, and I guess the judges felt he needed more time to mature.

Shelby Dressel - Shelby had the potential to be a big fan favorite, with her story of overcoming facial paralysis. It would have been nice to see someone like her on TV, plus she could sing. I'm not sure her voice or stage presence were strong enough to carry her all the way, but I would have liked to see her try. Shelby gets an "Ellen" appearance too.


Top 12 Predictions

Boys: Andrew, Tyler, Michael, Casey, Todrick, Aaron
Girls: Didi, Crystal, Ashley, Lilly, Katelyn, Siobhan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.