Thursday, March 08, 2007

American Idol - Top 12 and World Salvation Plans

Well, tonight was quite a shocker. Who would have imagined yesterday that we'd see Ryan and Simon on a philanthropic mission?? The big revelation tonight was that Idol is going to try to save the world, and, seriously, I think it's great they are using their ginormous popularity to do some good. The campaign is called American Idol Gives Back, and Quincy Jones is even writing a "We are the World, We are the Idols" song for the kids to sing.


The biggest mystery tonight was how Haley Scarnato and her bland ambition escaped elimination. All 31 contestants in my Idol betting pool picked her to go. My only guess is that Simon's harsh coments ("I can't remember your name") garnered her sympathy votes, and that, mixed with the country music vote since she did a Faith Hill song, kept her alive.

The first to go home was Jared Cotter, who looked quite smug when he said he didn't dream he'd be voted off. The reaction to his sweater alone should have told him it was a possibility. I will miss looking at Jared as he was one of the better looking boys, even if his eyebrows did evoke Groucho Marx.

Then we were treated to a performance by Carrie Underwood. She sang her new single "Wasted", and I have to admit I didn't hate it. I am surprised at how Carrie is growing on me - first with her Eagles songs at the Grammys and now this tune. It seems she is developing a bit of a personality finally, although her outfit tonight reminded me of an Austin Powers fembot.


Antonella Barba was the second to be sent home, mercifully. I will actually miss the drama, but I'm sure there's more to come. As the angel on her shoulder suggests that Antonella go back to Catholic University, and the devil on her other shoulder dangles offers from Girls Gone Wild, which will she choose? In more good news, the Frenchie fan club and Rosie O'Donnell will have to shut up now and stop with the inane attempts to compare Frenchie's dirty photos (done for money) to Antonella's (done in semi-private because she was wasted...I hope she listened to Carrie's song about that).


We were presented with two final pairs competing for two remaining spots. First came Haley Scarnato and Sabrina Sloan, and Sabrina was voted off. She looked shocked, but I'm not. She was certainly a better singer than a few of the girls, but she didn't have much charisma. I was never able to warm up to her. You've got to be more likable to get people to pick up the phone and dial your number repeatedly. And there's a diva surplus this season.

Finally, we were left with Sanjaya Malakar and Sundance Head. Sundance was my early pick to win, but he was sent home. I think he never lived up to the potential of his first audition, and his attempt at Pearl Jam this week was just bad...real bad. Obviously, Sanjaya has been cast in the harmless teen idol role that worked very well for John Stevens and Kevin Covais before him.


Remember, folks, it aint just a singing competition.


No comments: