Wednesday, March 28, 2007

American Idol - Kids are Hella Good

Performances


Lakisha Jones - "Last Dance"

Coolia: I enjoyed it. It was nice to see Lakisha do something other than a ballad or torch song, something lively.
Nerdia: I loved her outfit. Donna Summer songs are hard to sing. Most people don't realize that. Lakisha did a great job. I just wish she'd smile more sometimes.


Chris Sligh - "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"

Coolia: I thought it was ok. I couldn't tell he was going off-tempo, but then I lack rhythm.

Nerdia: I agree with Simon...a mess. Chris is just not a balladier and he's not emoting it. But what songs did he have to chose from? I was confused this week by the rules. Were these Gwen Stefani's favorite songs or something? I thought the introduction was confusing.


Gina Glocksen - "I'll Stand By You"

Coolia: Nice song choice, but I was a bit bored. She looked great. Can't believe she cried when she met Gwen. Get a grip, honey, it's not like meeting Mother Teresa.

Nerdia: She made me like this Pretenders song. I loved this performance. She looked strong but vulnerable. She does better when she can just stand there.


Sanjaya Malakar - "Bath Water"

Coolia: Sanjaya rocks the faux hawk. This proved a disasterous move for Nadia Turner in Season 4, but I'm sure Sanjaya will be OK. He comes out looking as fierce and resilient as a Spartan warrior, then whispers and shuffles through his routine. Oy.

Nerdia: Loved it, loved, it. Loved the F.U. hair and the song choice. He still doesn't completely sell it (I agree with Randy and Paula) but somehow he entertains me. He's now working the camera ala Constantine.


Haley Scarnato - "True Colors"

Coolia: Haley's true color is white. Could she be any more white? No, none more white. This was bland, and I agree with Gwen she should have left the melody alone.

Nerdia: Dull song dully performed. She should have kept sexing it up. When Paula says Pretty Girl it smarts, kind of like "honey, at least you're pretty."


Phil Stacey - "Every Breath You Take"

Coolia: Wow, this is the first time I've liked Phil. Maybe it's because his cap covered up his shiny head and protruding ears. Actually, it was a good vocal, and he had good stage presence.

Nerdia: Boring.


Melinda Doolittle - "Heaven Knows"

Coolia: Like Lakisha, she chooses an uptempo Donna Summer tune and proves she can do it. Like Simon, I hated the outfit, but another good vocal.

Nerdia: No kidding but when I was younger I thought this song was too old school for Donna Summer! It stuck out on her Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 album set. Unbelievable that Melinda would pick out this more obscure song of Summer songs. And I'm so over her Gomer Pyle grins.


Blake Lewis - "Love Song"

Coolia: I never thought I'd hear a Cure song on Idol, and I have to give Blake points for that. Unfortunately, his version bored me. It was too slow.
Nerdia: He made The Cure sound like Morrissey. Loved it.


Jordin Sparks - "Hey Baby"

Coolia: A gutsy song choice and she mostly pulled it off, although she seemed out of breath at times. Crazy outfit. This emphasized her youth, which should help her.
Nerdia: I'm sorry but gray is not sexy. She's too apple pie for me.


Chris Richardson - "Don't Speak"

Coolia: This was a good song choice for him and he reminded me that he does have a nice voice. I just can't get all fired up over him.
Nerdia: I don't like to watch him sing. He looks like he's in pain.




Guest Judge -Gwen Stefani

Coolia: I didn't think she added much to the show, but I liked her dig at Sanjaya. She had opinions if not great advice.
Nerdia: I appreciated her honesty in her interview but wondered how honest she was being to the contestants' faces. The way the show was cut we didn't see much interaction.



Predictions

Coolia: Haley goes home. Chris S. and Chris R. round out the Bottom 3.

Nerdia: Heley home, Chris S. and Phil



No comments: