Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Idol - 60s Week - The Top Twelve Girls

Performances

Kristy Lee Cook - "Rescue Me"

There wasn't much fight in this kickboxing cowgirl tonight. Her delivery was flat and lacked energy. Paula revealed Kristy had bronchitis, and that revelation plus all the attention she got in earlier shows will probably rescue her this week.

Joanne Borgella - "Say a Little Prayer"

I liked Joanne's audition a lot, but this performance lacked oomph. She seemed nervous and was a little shouty.

Alaina Whitaker - "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday"

It's Alaina's birthday tomorrow, so she asked that we not send her home. I don't think she has to worry about that after this performance. She's very likable and did a great job belting this tune. She handled it way better than Chikezie did last night. She's sassy and fun.

Amanda Overmyer - "Baby Please Don't Go"

I dig the rock n roll nurse, and I'm glad she didn't do the predictable thing and sing some Janis. She rocked pretty hard and showed a lot of confidence. And I agree with Randy - cool patchwork pants.
Amy Davis - "Where The Boys Are"

This was bad in so many ways - bad retro hair, bad song choice, bad pitch problems. I don't think Amy will survive this round.

Brooke White - "Happy Together"

I have a similar attitude as Simon toward Brooke - he compared her to someone on a dish soap commercial and I think she's too squeaky clean for me. I liked David Cook's version of this song better. Brooke was too stiff and didn't bring anything new to it.

Alexandrea Lushington - "Spinning Wheel"

Wow, I was impressed by Alexandrea! She stomped down the stairs and took command of the stage. She really delivered on a tough song and looked cool doing it - love the outfit - a nice change from her army fatigues.

Kady Malloy - "A Groovy Kind of Love"

Kady is pretty and likable, but she sang this song like it was a funeral dirge instead of a quirky little love song. Simon was overly harsh on her, so that should garner her some sympathy votes. The clips of her Britney impression will keep her around.

Asia'h Epperson - "Take Another Piece of My Heart"

Asia'h started out sounding a little nervous but soon got into a groove and delivered a fierce, exuberant performance.

Ramiele Malubay - "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me"

I thought this song was a bit old for Ramiele, but she still delivered with a lot of style and confidence. She's cute and I think she'll go far.

Syesha Mercado - "Tobacco Road"

Syesha is a belter. Some of this performance was a little jumbled to me, but she brought it all home with a "wow" ending.

Carly Smithson - "Shadow of Your Smile"

Carly took some time to address the controversy over her recording past before delivering a spectacular vocal. She really seems to connect with the lyrics and feel the song, unlike a lot of these gals. At times it was a bit shouty, but she garnered high praise from Randy who thought it was the best vocal of the Top 24.

Predictions

Going home: Amy Davis and Joanne Borgella

No comments: