Friday, February 23, 2007

American Idol: The Boys Are Underwhelming

Our thoughts on the Idol boys (2-20-07):


Rudy Cardenas - "Free Ride"

Terry: Disappointing beginning to this new season. He's either merely a mediocre lounge lizard or he was suffering from a serious case of nerves.
Nerdia: He was trying too hard to be high-energy.
Coolia: He looks uncomfortable in his body. I think his head is too small for his body or something, and he sings like a girl. Corny song choice - even The Edgar Winter Dog was laughing.

Brandon Rogers - "Rock With You"

Terry: No flavor whatsoever.
Nerdia: How lackluster for him! Big disappointment.
Coolia: Decent, good control, and Brandon is likable.

Sundance Head - "Nights in White Satin"

Terry: Began singing thru his nose again, but relaxed as the song progressed and ended well but not extremely well.
Nerdia: Ridiculous! We made fun of it.
Coolia: Horrible song choice. I just hate that song, and he looked constipated.

Paul Kim - "Careless Whisper"

Terry: Paul - Uh, Paul. Come here. A little closer. Just a little closer....PUT SOME SHOES ON YOU FREAK! No one wants to share your fungus!
Nerdia: That fungus is called Ego.
Coolia: Yes, the barefoot thing just seems like an affectation. Muddy vocal.


Chris Richardson - "I Don't Wanna Be"

Terry: Finally someone showed some true spark and spunk. I dug it. And, that's saying something because I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan.
Nerdia: I can’t even remember this guy.
Coolia: He's cute and has great energy. He should make the Top 12.

Nick Pedro - "Now and Forever"

Terry: Hey, Nick. Lounge Lizards anonymous called and they're salivating at the number of new members they see lining up tonight.
Nerdia: All I remember is he was bad.
Coolia: I actually thought it was okay. But just okay.


Blake Lewis - "Somewhere Only We Know"

Terry: Yes! Now that's what I'm talkin' bout! Take a song and make it your own! And, for me, he even improved upon the original to boot. By far the best so far! I'm officially on the Blake bandwagon.
Nerdia:
Me too. Thought it was very Morrissey and hip. Plus he showed professional facial gestures.
Coolia: Agreed - he reminded me of a Happy Morrissey. Loved the voice and the polished performance. Plus he's cute with great hair. He's my favorite of the boys.



Sanjaya Malakar - "Knocks Me Off My Feet"

Terry: In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson, "Boring!" Was that a case of severe stage fright? Or, just completely stupidity in choice of song?
Nerdia: But he’s a real cutie-pie.
Coolia: Sanjaya is a harmless teen idol if ever I saw one. He could be the next Sajid Khan. How bad he sings doesn't matter right now - he'll sail into the Top 12.

Chris Sligh - "Typical"

Terry: Nowhere near as good as the original but he DID inject his personality into it. Because I dig this guy's personality I dug it.
Nerdia: I thought he was starting to show some arrogance. The diss on Simon was a dolt’s move.
Coolia: Christie Sligh was winning me back with his great vocal, but then he lost me by sassing Simon. Good on Simon for his "you could be a teletubby" retort!

Jared Cotter - "Back at One"

Terry: Nice. Not memorable but not completely forgettable
Nerdia: I was completely bored.
Coolia: He's good looking, but that was pretty pitchy.

A. J. Tabaldo - "Never Too Much"

Terry: Okay for Idol. Good lounge singer. Decent...but, only because so many of the other guys have so stunk up the joint.
Nerdia: Eh.
Coolia: Ordinary.

Phil Stacey - "I Could Not Ask For More"

Terry: Started out a bit weak but injected some emotion and then kicked it into high gear. My second favorite tonight, behind only Blake.
Nerdia: I can’t get my roomie’s drawing of Nosferatu out of my head.
Coolia: I didn't realize he was in the navy until now - he should milk that. Reminds me of a less talented Magni.

Final Thoughts

Terry: Overall, EXTREMELY disappointing!!
Nerdia: Where in the heck did all the talent go?
Coolia: It's up to the girls to save this season.

No comments: